The Valiant

Author Topic: My Job  (Read 1116 times)

Veskagan

• The Bananas has gone bad
  • Guild Member
    • Mumble Bloopers with The Valiant
My Job
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:41PM »
I work for a fairly small entertainment retailer called Hastings.  We buy, sell, and trade new and used books, movies, music, video games, etc.  Been with the company for over 9 years now.

For the most part, I've been treated fairly well... though severely underpaid.  I don't even make a dollar over minimum wage as a manager.

I've worked through 3 whole store moves, a two-year payrate freeze, and a whole lot of bullshit.  Good times, too... but there's always bullshit, isn't there?

About 8 or 9 months ago, we found out our landlord (our company usually prefers to lease large warehouse buildings) broke the terms of our lease and had sold the lease out to another business before our's had even gone up for renewal.

So, our company looked for another location (or, so they claimed).

The holiday season soon rolled around, and we had heard absolutely nothing from our corporate office regarding potential locations.  All they could tell us was, "we're still scouting locations and have no plans to close your store."

At 7:00 this morning, our VP of Finances came down to tell the whole store we'd be closing doors in March.  Most store operations (such as purchasing used items, online orders, movie and game rentals) have come to an immediate halt.

While I'll still have work for a couple months, I'm effectively out of a job.

Don't worry, I'm not gonna quit playing.  Life's still pretty good for me, certain things considered.

Just thought I'd share a little bit and let you all know what's going on.
"I have no opinion. No, none at all. Opinion is politics, and politics is an evil which has caused many a fellow to be hung while he's still young and pretty."

-Cuthbert Allgood, Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass